Chicken and Chile Casserole
- 2 tablespoons corn-oil margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 4 oz can green chilies, diced
- 1 10 oz can tomatoes w/ green chilies, well-drained
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken breast, cut to 1 inch chunks
- 10 corn tortillas, cut in half, then in
- , 1/2 inch strips
- 8 ounces low-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt margarine in medium saucepan. Add onion; cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add flour, stir one minute. Whisk in milk and chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in chilies and tomatoes.
Place one cup sauce in bottom of 9 x 13 baking pan sprayed with non-stick vegetable oil spray. Layer half the chicken, half the tortilla strips and 1 1/4 cups more sauce. Repeat until ingredients are used up. Top with cheese. Bake until heated through, about 45 minutes.