Coconut Poppy Seed Cake
"This moist coconut cake is definitely one of my most-requested desserts," reports Gail Cayce of Wautoma, Wisconsin. "Use different cake mixes and pudding flavors for variety."
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut, toasted, optional
Prepare cake according to package directions, adding coconut and poppy seeds to batter.
Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
In a large bowl, whisk the milk, extract and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Spread over the cake. Spread with whipped topping. Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired. Yield: 20-24 servings.