ROASTED VEGETABLE MEDLEY WITH PECAN-HONEY BUTTER
- Serves 8–10
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 1/4 lb), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 parsnips (about 1 1/4 lb), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 –4 carrots (about 1 lb), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 1/2 lb), peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen pearl onions
- Olive oil
- 1 packed tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley leaves
- 1 packed tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chervil leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, lightly toasted
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Position the oven racks in the lower and upper thirds of the oven. If using fresh pearl onions, trim the top of the onion opposite the root end. Cook in boiling water for about 2 minutes then drain and rinse under cold water. Pop the onion out of its skin, then trim the root end. If the onions are large, cut them in half.
Have ready two large rimmed baking sheets. In a large bowl, toss together the sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, butternut squash, and pearl onions. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons oil and season with 1 teaspoon salt. Toss together again until the vegetables are evenly coated. Divide the vegetable mixture evenly between the two baking sheets and spread into a single, even layer.
Roast the vegetables, stirring occasionally and rotating the pans about halfway through, until browned and tender, about 45 minutes.
While the vegetables are roasting, in a small pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and stir in the honey and pecans until well combined. About 10 minutes before the vegetables are done, drizzle the honey-pecan-butter over the vegetables and stir and toss to coat them evenly. Return to the oven for 10 minutes to glaze the vegetables.
In a small bowl, stir together the parsley, chives, chervil, and tarragon. When the vegetables are done, sprinkle with the herb mixture, toss to combine, transfer to a serving bowl, and serve while warm.