- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for buttering ramekins
- 5 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon peeled, minced ginger root
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon light molasses
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Vanilla, cinnamon or ginger ice cream, for serving
Adapted from online.wsj.com
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease eight 4-ounce ramekins and set aside.
In a large saucepan over high heat, bring milk and ginger to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and let steep 10 minutes. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and discard ginger.
Return milk to saucepan and add sugar, cornmeal, molasses, bourbon, vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. Whisk in butter and remove from heat.
Pour milk mixture into ramekins and place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake until tops are golden brown and centers jiggle slightly when ramekins are tapped, about 1 hour. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla, cinnamon or ginger ice cream.