- 1 cup (2 sticks, 8 ounces) butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 cup (8 ounces) hot water
- 2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups (14 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) buttermilk or yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Quick Fudge Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (3/4 ounce) unsweetened cocoa
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) buttermilk or yogurt
- 4 cups (1 pound) confectioners' sugar
- Cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9" x 13" cake pan.
Melt the butter or margarine; stir in the cocoa and hot water. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, soda and salt. Pour the cocoa mixture over the dry ingredients, stirring to blend. Beat in the buttermilk or yogurt, eggs and vanilla.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake for 30 minutes, or until it tests done. (You'll smell the chocolate aroma, and the cake will begin to pull away from the edge of the pan). Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
Frosting: Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Stir in the cocoa and buttermilk or yogurt. Bring the mixture to a boil, then remove from the heat and mix in the confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth. Pour over the cake while the frosting is still warm. Serve cake right from the pan.