Cream Cheese-Raspberry Coffee Cake from Scratch
- To Die for Crescent Rolls:
- Coffee Cake
- 2 cans (8 oz each Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls (used "to die for crescent rolls")
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel (or lemon zest)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 pint (2 cups) fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened (didn't use)
- 2 teaspoons orange juice (or lemon juice)
- (prepare the night before)
- 1 package yeast
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups flour, approximately
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray large cookie sheet or 14-inch pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray. Unroll both cans of dough; separate into 16 triangles. Reserve 4 triangles for topping. On sprayed cookie sheet, arrange 12 triangles in circle with points toward center, leaving 3-inch hole in center. Press dough to form 14-inch ring; press seams together to seal. Fold outer and center edges up 1/4 inch.
2. In medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients except raspberries; mix well. Gently stir in raspberries. (Mixture will be thin.) Spoon filling over dough.
3. With scissors or pizza cutter, cut each reserved triangle lengthwise into thirds. Place 1 teaspoon sugar on work surface. Press each dough strip into sugar. Arrange sugared dough strips, sugar side up, evenly in spoke-fashion over filling. Press ends to seal at center and outer edges.
4. Bake at 350°F. for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes.
5. In small bowl, combine powdered sugar, butter and orange juice; stir until smooth. Drizzle over coffee cake. Serve warm.
Put Crisco and salt in glass measuring cup.
add the 1 cup of boiling water.
stir till dissolved and becomes lukewarm.
Dissolve yeast in the warm water.
Beat the eggs with the sugar till well beaten.
Add the lukewarm Crisco mixture and the dissolved yeast.
Add 2 cups of flour, mix in well, then add the remaining flour, mix in well.
Add sufficient flour to make a’kneadable’ dough, and knead it lightly till well mixed.
Put into a bowl (covered) overnite in the frig.
Cut the dough in half.
Roll into two 'rounds’— ¼ inch thickness.
Spread with soft butter, cut into pie shaped wedges and roll into 'crescents’.
Put on a parchment (or silpat) lined baking sheet and let rise till approximately double in size.
Bake at 375 degrees about 8- 10 minutes, until golden brown