- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb ham cubed
- 1/2 lb chicken cubed
- 1/2 lb smoked sausage, 1/2" slices
- 1 (14.5 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning*
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1/2 pound salad shrimp
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon, and cook until crisp. Remove bacon pieces with a slotted spoon, and set aside.
Add celery, bell pepper, and onion to the bacon drippings, and cook until tender.
Add the ham, chicken and sausage to the pot, and pour in the tomatoes, beef broth and chicken broth.
Season with thyme and Cajun seasoning*. Bring to a boil, and add the rice.then turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
Stir in the shrimp and bacon just before serving, and heat through. If you use uncooked shrimp, let it cook for about 5 minutes before serving.
*I make my own Cajun Seasoning. Here are the ingredients to make about 2 tablespoons:
1 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. ground red pepper
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. black pepper