Mississippi Mud Cupcakes
- Box chocolate cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge)
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 c water
- 2 cans chocolate frosting (I used Duncan Hines Classic -Chocolate)
- Chopped pecans (about a cup)
- Bag mini marshmallows
- 2 sticks butter, softened slightly
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 TBSP heavy cream
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1/4 c chocolate syrup
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 60mins
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line 24 muffin cups with liners.
2. In the bowl of a mixer, combine cake mix, melted butter, eggs and water. Beat on low for one minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and increase speed to high. Beat for one minute.
3. Fill muffin cups about 1/3 full. Place a spoonful of chocolate frosting in the center of the batter and top with 4 or 5 mini marshmallows. Spoon cake batter over the frosting/marshmallows to cover completely. CupsSHOULDNOTbe more than 1/2-2/3 of the way full. Bake for about 15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
4. Some of the cupcakes may sink in just a bit in the middle. That is fine, you will be covering them with frosting.
1. In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter, cream, and vanilla on medium speed until smooth and blended. Add powdered sugar and cocoa powder and beat on low until just mixed. Pour in chocolate syrup and beat on high for 2 minutes.
2. Frost cupcakes and top with marshmallows. Place leftover canned chocolate frosting in the microwave and microwave on high, stirring every 5 seconds until pourable, but not too runny. Spoon frosting over cupcakes and top with chopped pecans.