Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Scones
- 2 cups cake flour (9 oz.) or whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and frozen for 1/2 hour
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, cinnamon, cherries, and chocolate chips in a large bowl.
Whisk together the buttermilk and egg in a second bowl. Using the tips of your fingers, blend the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Quickly, stir in the buttermilk mixture just until the mixture turns into a sticky dough. There should still be visible clumps of butter in the dough.
Gently pat the dough out on a floured surface into a 8-inch diameter circle approximately ¾-inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 wedges and place each on the baking sheet leaving a few inches between.
Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden.
Keep your scones fresh and festive, store them in Green Limited Edition Ziploc® Brand Holiday Slider Bags.
Chocolate Cherry Scones 01