Chai Spiced Snickerdoodles
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (or your favourite non-dairy milk)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Adapted from veganmagazine.com
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
● Prepare the topping: Mix all of the topping ingredients together on a dinner plate. Set aside.
● Prepare the cookies: In a medium bowl, use a fork to vigorously mix together the oil, sugar, maple syrup and milk. Mix for at least 1 minute, until it resembles applesauce. Then mix in the vanilla.
● Sift in the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, stirring as you add them. Once all the ingredients are added, mix until you've got a pliable dough. Get in there with your hands to mix; it's the easiest way to get the dough to come together.
● Roll the dough into walnut-size balls. Pat into the sugar topping to flatten into roughly 2-inch discs. Transfer to the baking sheets, sugar side up, at least 2 inches apart (they do spread a little). This should be easy, as the bottom of the cookies should just stick to your fingers, so you can flip them over onto the baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. They should be a bit browned on the bottoms.
● Let cool on the sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to let cool completely.