Grandmom's crab cakes
Originally from Smith Island, Md.
- Grandmom’s crab cakes
- 1 lb. lump or backfin crabmeat
- 2 finely crushed saltines
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 heaping T mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 T melted butter
- dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 to 2 T chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Old Bay seasoning to taste - this has some salt and pepper in it, so adjust your seasonings accordingly.
Gently break lumps apart. Check for any shell. Combine crabmeat with other ingredients being careful not to break up the crabmeat lumps too much. Shape into cakes - 4 to 6 per pound is about right. Put on plate, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour so cakes will hold shape. When ready to serve, pan fry in butter and vegetable oil, about 5 minutes per side. I cover the pan. If you want, you can dip them in dry breadcrumbs on the top and bottom before frying. Then enjoy!