Blackstrap Molasses Pecan Pie
Each Serving: 621 cal, 36g fat, 7g protein, 73 carb
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4 Tbsp ice water
- 3/4 cup blackstrap molasses (use unsulfured mild molasses for a milder molasses flavor)
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light or brown-sugar corn syrup
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups pecan halves, plus 1/2 cup chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (optional)
Preparation time 22mins
Cooking time 87mins
In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle water over mixture and stir with a fork until dough comes together. Press in a 1/2-inch-thick disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.
On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 12-inch round, 1/8-inch thick. Fold dough in half and fit into a 9-inch pie pan; press dough against bottom and sides of dish. Fold edge under and flute or crimp decoratively. Refrigerate pie shell.
Combine molasses, brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; cook until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved, about 4 minutes. Raise heat to high and boil 1 minutes. Remove from heat and cool mixture to room temperature. Stir in eggs until blended, then stir in remaining filling ingredients.
Heat over to 350 degrees. Pour filling into pie shell. Bake 1 hour, or until filling is set. Coll completely on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.