- 5 slices of bacon, chopped
- 4 or 5 lbs. chicken breast, chopped into small cubes
- 2 Spanish chorizo sausages or andouille sausages, cut cross-wise
- 3 or 4 strands of saffron, toasted on a hot pan for a few seconds
- 1 cup white wine - heated
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can whole tomatoes, hand crushed
- 4 or 5 lbs. large shrimp
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 lbs bay scallops
- king crab - optional
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups rice (Valencia, Calasparra, or Bomba, if possible) - otherwise, use a good long-grained rice
- 2 cups chicken stock (homemade if possible)
- 2 cups seafood stock/clam juice (you can substitute the liquor from the clams and mussels)
- 2 lbs. firm fish, cut into cubes (halibut, salmon, etc.)
- 1 Tbs capers
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon wedges
- chopped flat leafed parsley - about a 1/4 cup
Fry the chopped bacon in a large paella pan (paellara) until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, drain and set aside.
Season chicken pieces. Brown pieces in bacon fat. Remove and set aside. Add chopped onion, celery, peppers and garlic and stir fry for about 10 minutes, until they begin to brown.
Toast saffron threads for a few seconds in a hot pan. Soak saffron in hot white wine.
Steam the clams and mussels separately in white wine, until they open. Discard un-opened clams/mussels. Save the liquor for the next step.
Stir in rice, roasted pimientos with juices, tomatoes, chorizo and saffron wine. Stir to be certain that rice is totally coated.
Heat clam juice and chicken stock (replace some stock with liquor from above) in a pot and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Add oregano, coriander, thyme leaves, and capers.
Stir all ingredients in the paella pan. Cover with tin foil and cook on low for about 15 minutes - until rice is el dente. Move paella pan around on burner to ensure even cooking. A large bbq can be used to cook the paella. Avoid stirring, unless absolutely necessary. In this case, stir gently.
Add the fish, king crab (optional) and shrimp cook for another 5 minutes or until fish and shrimp are just cooked. Add more liquid to rice, as necessary.
Add the peas and stir gently.
Turn the heat to HIGH for 40 seconds - long enough to develop a crust on the bottom of the paella, called socarrat. Remove from heat.
Decorate the top of the paella with clams, mussels, and lemon wedges. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.