Baked Eggs Ranchero
- 4 chorizo or Italian sausages
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 green or yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) bottled chunky salsa
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated Cheddar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 8 eggs
- 2 sliced green onions
1. Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Oil a large frying pan set over medium heat. Prick sausages in several places and place in pan. Turn often until browned, 4 to 6 min. It’s OK. if they aren’t completely cooked. Remove from pan. Slice crosswise into thin rounds. Coat pan with more oil, then add onion and pepper. Stir often until they start to soften, 3 min. Add salsa and stir until hot, 1 to 2 min. Stir in sausages. In a small bowl, toss half the cheese with flour. Stir into salsa mixture in pan. Spoon over bottom of a 9x13-in. (3-L) baking dish. Crack eggs overtop, spacing so they don’t touch. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, in centre of oven until whites of eggs are set, but centres are still runny, 15 to 20 min. Let stand 5 min., then spoon onto plates. Sprinkle with green onion.
• Make ahead Prepare dish as above, but don’t add eggs. Cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready to bake, cover pan with foil. Bake in centre of preheated oven until mixture is hot, 15 to 20 min. Uncover and stir. Add eggs and continue with recipe as written.