Steve’s Cabbage Soup
- 1 T. oil
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 1 clove mined garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs cooked turkey sausage, sliced or diced (you can use real sausage, both in deli near hotdogs)
- 8 cups coarsely chopped cabbage, or a small head
- 1 sweet pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 c. tomato sauce
- 2 qts water or chicken broth
- 1 t salt or paste type soup base. I use Minors chicken base (It’s fantastic)
- pepper to taste
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- Three potatoes, boiled, or cauliflower, cooked.
Sauté onion in oil until browned. Add garlic and sausage and cook until sausage is brown. Add vegetables, tomato sauce, water and seasonings and cook covered 15-20 minutes.
Using some of the soup water, I puree potatoes or cauliflower to make the soup a little thicker, then add the mixture to the soup. The original recipe used flour.
Simmer for five minutes. Eat and enjoy.