Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
- For enchilada sauce:
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 6 tbsp. Chili powder
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed. (Or preminced to taste)
- 4 tsp. Cumin
- 4 tsp. Sugar
- 2 (15 oz.) Cans tomato sauce
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- For the enchiladas:
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 (8 oz.) Package cream cheese, cut into cubes (more if desired)
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced, more to garnish
- 1 (15 oz.) Can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4.25 oz.) Can green chili's
- 2 jalapenos, chopped small
- 1 can sliced olives
- 1 batch enchilada sauce, divided
- 4 cups shredded cheese (cheddar and Monterey), divided
- Corn tortillas
For enchilada sauce:
Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and salt, cook until softened, ~5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, garlic, cumin, and sugar. Cook until fragrant. Add in the tomato sauce and water and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened ~5 minutes (May need more since doubled). Season to taste.
For the enchiladas:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Heat a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add in cream cheese and stir to melt. Stir in green onions, jalapenos, 2 cups shredded cheese, drained black beans, and green chilis. Stir to combine and heat through, about 3 minutes. Stir in chicken and black olives and remove from heat. Add in 1 cup of the enchilada sauce, stir to combine.
2. Heat tortillas in the microwave. Spray pan(s) (9x13 inch works) with cooking spray. Spread layer of enchilada sauce in the bottom of the pan. Spoon chicken mixture into tortillas and roll tightly. Place in pan seam side down. Continue with tortillas until pan is full. Pour remaining enchilada sauce evenly over the tortillas. Top with remaining 2 cups shredded cheese.
3. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until cheese begins to brown, ~5-10 minutes more. Cool slightly before serving.