Carla Hall and Clinton Kelly's Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds Russet Potatoes
- 1/2 pound Butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup Milk (Hot)
- White Pepper (to taste)
- For the Special: 2 Garlic bulbs (roasted)
- 1 1/2 cups Sour Cream
- For the Spectacular:1 pound Cheddar Cheese (finely grated)
- 1 1/2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Chile Flakes
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Prep time: 60-120 min Serves 8
1. The water should be cold when you put the potatoes in.
2. The key to a good mashed potato is pressing the potato through a ricer.
3. Make sure you don’t add too much milk. Add it in slowly and as you go.
Place potatoes in a large pot and cover by at least two inches of water. Bring to a boil over and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until very fork tender. Drain. Allow potatoes to cool slightly and peel. Use a kitchen towel or fork to hold potatoes if too hot. Chunk potatoes and place into a ricer. Press through ricer in a large bowl or pot. Stir in butter and whisk in milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper. For the Special: Stir in roasted garlic and sour cream. Adjust seasoning to taste. For the Spectacular: Preheat oven to 350 F. Transfer potatoes to a baking dish. Toss together the cheddar, panko breadcrumbs, and chile flakes in a bowl and sprinkle over the potatoes. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden and cheese has melted. Serve warm.