Mediterranean Poached Fish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white wine or water
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 12 pitted kalamata olives, cut in half
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 fillets (5 to 6 ounces each), such as tilapia, flounder or catfish
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, red pepper and garlic. Cook about 6 minutes, until softened, stirring so garlic does not burn.
2. Stir in tomatoes, wine, capers, olives, lemon zest and juice, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add fish and cook, covered, over medium-low heat for about 8 to 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily. Gently turn fish halfway through cooking.
3. Serve with plain couscous and green beans, if desired.