PAULA DEEN’S CREAM CHEESE POUND CAKE
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 (8-ounce) package low fat Philly Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted twice after measuring
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan (I like to use the nonstick spray that is especially for baking… with the flour mixed into it).
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until well combined. Add in sugar and continue to mix for about 6 minutes, until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition, until well blended. Gradually add the flour, beating and scraping down the sides until it is all incorporated. Mix in salt and extracts.
3. Pour into prepared pan. Hit the pan gently on the counter about 5 times to help settle the batter and remove any air pockets. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours. The cake is done when it pulls away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
4. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a wire rack and let cool completely before serving.
*To make a simple berry topping, mix two or three kinds of berries with just a spoonful of sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice. Whip some heavy whipping cream, and serve a slice of this cake with freshly whipped cream and berries.