- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14. oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 spirgs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 tsp each honey and fresh lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic; wilt, stirring, for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cumin and stir to mellow.
Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, thyme, honey, lemon juice, and brothe. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, season with salt and pepper, and smmer for 4 minutes.
While the chickpeas cook, prepare the couscous according to package directions.
Taste the chickpeas and adjust the seasonings as needed. Remove the thyme springs and stir in the parsley. Serve over couscous in shallow bowls.