Peach Or Pear Chutney
- 4 quarts finely-chopped peeled pitted peaches or pears - (abt 20 med)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped onion - (abt 1 med)
- 2 cups brown sugar - (to 3)
- 1/4 cup mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 garlic clove (optional), minced
- 1 hot red pepper finely chopped
- 5 cups vinegar, 5% acidity
Prepare Ball brand or Kerr brand jars and closures according to manufacturer's instructions.
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot. Cook slowly until thick, about 40 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
Carefully ladle hot chutney into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met -- fingertip tight.
Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. At elevations higher than 1,000 feet, boil 2 additional minutes for each additional 1,000 feet elevation.
This recipe yields about 7 pints.
Caution: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.