- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs 450 g
- 1/2 cup water 125 mL
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil 15 mL
- 1/2 tsp sea salt 2.5 mL
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground 5 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 cloves
- 1/2 lb dried Porcini mushrooms 227 g
- 1 cup dry white wine 250 mL
- 1/2 lb whole-wheat spaghetti 200 g
- 1 can evaporated milk
- (1 cup / 250 mL) 1 can
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese 125 mL
- 1/4 cup fresh basil 50 mL
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Put dry Porcini mushrooms in bowl and add boiling water to just cover. Set aside and soak for a few minutes.
2. Cut chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces removing any visible fat.
3. Heat olive oil in a saucepan, big enough to hold all the ingredients, over medium high heat. Brown chicken pieces on both sides and season with salt and pepper.
4. Add the mushrooms with the soaking water to the pan along with the minced fresh garlic, sliced mushrooms and wine. Turn down the heat. Simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and the liquid has reduced by one-third (about 20 minutes).
5. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in unsalted boiling water according to package cooking time. Drain well.
6. Add canned milk to the pan and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and season with freshly minced basil. Add the drained spaghetti to the creamy chicken sauce and toss well.
7. Transfer to a 23 x 33 cm (9x13”) ovenproof baking dish and sprinkle with the freshly grated parmesan cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes in the oven until bubbly and golden brown.
8. To serve, divide among four plates and garnish with fresh basil leaves.