Mango Rice Salad with Grilled Shrimp
This dish teams sweet mangoes with curry-marinated shrimp and crunchy vegetables. Customize the recipe to suit your preferences—try chicken in place of shrimp, or omit the shrimp and serve the salad cold or at room temperature as a side dish. For added flavor, use basmati or jasmine rice.
Amount per serving
Calories from fat: 11%
Saturated fat: 1.8g
Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 36 shrimp)
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup light coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cups diced peeled mango (about 2 mangoes)
- 1 1/2 cups diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add shrimp; toss to coat. Cover and chill 1 hour.
Bring water and coconut milk to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Add carrot and next 7 ingredients (through salt); toss gently to combine.
Prepare grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
Thread 3 shrimp onto each of 12 (6-inch) skewers. Place skewers on grill rack or grill pan coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done. Serve skewers over salad. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.