Mini Gingerbread Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Filling
- 2 1/2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves or allspice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup finely diced crystallized ginger (mini diced ginger)
- 1 teaspoon Instant ClearJel
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 5 tablespoons soft butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
To make the cakes: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease three baking sheets, or line with parchment.
Whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar together until fluffy. Beat in the egg, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl. Mix in half the dry ingredients, the molasses; the remaining dry ingredients then the buttermilk.Stir in the ginger. Drop the batter by tsp. onto the prepared pans.
To make the filling: Combine the Clear gel and sugar. Beat in the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth.
Spread a heaping teaspoon of filling onto the flat side of half the cakes, and top with a second unfilled cake, rounded side up.