Ginger Chicken with Sweet-Salty Noodles with Veggies
- 1 pound thin long cut pasta, such as capellini
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- 1/4 large onion, cut into chunks
- 3 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- Black pepper
- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast cutlets, 8 thin pieces
- 1/2 cup rice or white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 seedless cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, then thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 12-ounce sack triple washed baby spinach
Preheat a grill pan or outdoor grill on high.
Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta, salt the water and add the pasta. Cook according to package directions until al dente. Once cooked, drain thoroughly.
In a blender or food processor, combine 3 tbsp of vegetable oil, parsley, cilantro, garlic, onion, 2/3 of the grated ginger, and salt and pepper. Blend until mixture is somewhat smooth. Transfer mixture to shallow dish, add the chicken cutlets, and coat them thoroughly. Let chicken sit a few minutes.
While the pasta cooks and the chicken marinates, place a small suacepan over medium-high heat, add the rice wine vinegar, sugar, tamari, red pepper flakes, and remaining ginger and bring them up to a bubble to dissolve the sugar. Once the sugar has dissolved, remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tbsp vegetable oil. While it is still hot, transfer the sauce to a large salad bowl, add the cucumbers, red and yellow bell peppers, and scallions. Toss to combine.
Add the pasta to the dressed cucumbers and bell peppers, add the baby spinach, and toss to combine. Cover with foil and reserve covered to keep the noodles warm and wilt the spinach while you grill up the chicken.
Grill the ginger and herb coated chicken for 3 minutes on each side, or until it is cooked through and the juices run clear. Cut into thin strips. Divide the noodles and veggies among serving plates and top them with a pile of the grilled chicken.