GERMAN CHOCOLATE-PECAN PIE BARS
How do you improve the classic pecan pie bar? With buttery, cocoa-spiked shortbread and an over-the-top layer of chocolate, that's how
- 3 cups pecan halves and pieces
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
2. Line bottom and sides of a 13 x 9 inch pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides. Lightly grease foil.
3. Pulse flour and next 3 ingredients in a food processor 5 to 6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press mixture on bottom and 3/4 inch up sides of prepared pan.
4. Bake crust at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle chocolate morsels over crust. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 30 minutes).
5. Whisk together brown sugar and next 3 ingredients until smooth. Stir in coconut and toasted pecans, and spoon into prepare crust.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and set. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Chill 1 hour. Lift baked bars from pan, using foil sides as handles. Transfer to a cutting board; cut into bars.
*For a spirited kick, whisk 1/4 cup of your favorite bourbon into brown sugar mixture in Step 5.