Roasted Turkey Breast
Skinless turkey breast is a much leaner choice than serving a whole turkey, but because it’s a lean meat it can sometimes cook up dry. We ensured juiciness by stuffing it with a flavorful filling of sautéed shallots, dried cranberries and thyme and wrapping the breast in turkey bacon.
- 1 tablespoon plus
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- divided 2 cups chopped shallots
- 1 ⁄4 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 boneless, skinless turkey breast half, about 2 1⁄4 pounds
- 12 large sage leaves
- 6 slices lower-sodium turkey bacon
- Fresh sage leaves, fresh currants and Champagne or red seedless grapes for garnish
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from Www.bedbathandbeyond.com
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden and tender, about 7 minutes. remove from heat and stir in cranberries, thyme, salt and pepper.
2. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a shallow roasting pan or a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil or regular foil coated with nonstick spray.
3. Put turkey breast on cutting board and butterfly breast by slicing through center of breast horizontally but not going through the other side. open sliced breast like a book so it lays flat on cutting board.
4. Put shallot mixture on top of breast and spread to within 1/2-inch of edges. Roll up breast starting at a longer side. Place seam-side down on pan. Lay sage leaves over top, then top with bacon slices, tucking ends under turkey to keep in place.
5. Brush with remaining oil and grind additional pepper over top.
6. Roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees F when inserted into center of breast, about 45 to 55 minutes.
7. Remove to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes before slicing.