Ritamay's Asparagus & Artichoke Soup
When asparagus is fresh and tender, this soup is delightful and filling. Serve with some crunchy rolls with fresh butter for a light and delicious supper.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 stick butter, you can use smart balance
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 bunch asparagus, washed and broken, use only the tender end, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cans artichoke hearts packed in water, drained and reserve liquid to add to the soup, cut into quarters
- 2 cans skimmed evaporated milk, or 2 cups separated, cream of half and half
- 1/2 cup parsely minced
- 1/2 cup green onions finely chopped
- 1 to 2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
In a large heavy soup pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter on low. Be careful not to burn. Add onion and celery; saute over medium heat until onions are transparent. Remove heat and set aside.
In double boiler melt the rest of the butter, add flour and whisk until blended. Slowly add 1 can of milk, continue to whisk, make sure that the flour and butter mix completely with the milk.
Add this white sauce to sauteed onions and celery. Over medium heat stir in remaining milk, stock and reserved liquid. Stir until the consistency is smooth. Add remaining vegetables and season.
Bring to a low boil turn down immediately to low or simmer. Cook about 30 minutes (could be more or less) Stir occasionally to make sure milk does not scald.
Cooks Note: While cooking it is a judgement call as to the cooking covered or uncovered. If liquid is not thickening, leave lid off. If it is too thick, add some water and cook with lid on. Play with the recipe.
You'll also love
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup (from... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pot Roast Over Noodles (crock pot) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- GREEN BEANS AU GRATIN 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cajun Cauliflower Rice 0/5 (0 Votes)
- NEW ORLEANS SHRIMP AND ARTICHOKE... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Artichoke and Mushroom Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Rigatoni a la Vodka, Chicken and... 0/5 (0 Votes)