From the Farmer's Market Cookbook. Delicious served over mashed yellow potatoes, greens, green beans, pasta or rice.
- 3 cups leeks, finely chopped (stem only)
- 3 cups shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups nutritional yeast
- 1/2 plus plus 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups water, milk, or beer
- 1/3 cup tamari or soy sauce
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
1. In a small skillet, saute leeks, mushrooms, and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil until tender. In a heavy bottomed pan, dry-saute yeast until it turns color and starts to smoke. (This requires constant stirring--don't walk away even for 2 seconds)
2. Once yeast is cooked, add 1/2 cup oil and stir for 3 more minutes. Stir in the tamari and liquid of choice and bring to slow boil.
3. Thoroughly mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup water, add to gravy and stir until thickened. Amount of cornstarch may be adjusted to alter thickness of gravy.
4. Serve over mashed potatoes (yukons) or pasta or rice.