Italian Lentil Soup
From Beth Binasio
- 4 Tbs. finely chopped onion
- 2 clovesd garlic, minced
- 3 Tbs. Olive Oil plus 3 Tbs butter
- 4 Tbs. finely chopped celery
- 4 Tbs. finely chopped carrot
- 2/3 c shredded ham
- 1 28 oz. can Italian tomatoes, cut up with juices
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 c red wine
- 1 pound dried lentils, washed and drained
- 2 c beef broth plus 6 c water
- 6 Tbs. fresh parsley
- 6 Tbs. parmesan cheese, pepper
Saute onion and garlic in stockpot with oil and butter over medium high heat until golden.
Add celery and carrot, saute 2-3 minutes more.
Add meat, saute 1 minute more.
Add tomatoes and juices, simmer uncovered 25 minutes.
Add lentils, oregano, wine, broth, water and pepper. Stir. Cover and cook at steady simmer 45 minutes.
When done, add parsley and parmesan cheese.