Thai Chicken and Soba Noodle Salad
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Cooking oil
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 10 ounces buckwheat (soba) noodles, whole wheat noodles or linguine
- 4 cups shredded romaine or bok choy
- 4 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 small cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, cut into julienne strips (about 1 cup)
- 1 small yellow summer squash, cut into julienne strips (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, cut into julienne strips (about 1/2 cup)
- Purchased peanut dressing
- 6 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup soy nuts or peanuts
- 2 tablespoons white and/or black sesame seeds (optional)
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 57mins
1. Lightly brush both sides of chicken breasts with oil. For a charcoal grill, grill chicken on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 15 minutes or till chicken is tender and no longer pink (170 degrees F), turning once. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place chicken on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Remove chicken from grill; immediately place in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Drizzle teriyaki sauce over chicken, turning to coat both sides. Let stand, covered, for 20 minutes, turning 2 or 3 times. Remove chicken from teriyaki, discarding teriyaki. Cut chicken into bite-size strips. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook buckwheat (soba) noodles in boiling water about 4 minutes (or whole wheat noodles or linguine for 8 to 10 minutes) or till just tender. Drain; rinse under cold water and drain again.
3. In a large bowl, combine chicken strips, noodles, romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini, summer squash and carrot. Pour the peanut dressing over the chicken mixture. Toss gently to mix. Cover; chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours, gently stirring mixture 2 or 3 times.
4. To serve, line 6 chilled dinner plates or salad plates with greens. Top with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with soy nuts and sesame seeds, if you like. Makes 6 main-dish servings.