Crock Pot Ham and Beans.....
* you may use 4 to 6 cans of beans in place of dried
Use black eye, Northern, Pinto, Cranberry beans or your favorite
Add 1 carrots, shredded
Add frozen peas
Add sweet peppers
- 1 meaty ham bone or 4 to 6 ham hocks
- 1 large sweet onions or 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley or 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic or dried garlic
- 1 lb great northern or butter beans, rinsed and picked over *
- 6 to 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp pepper, or to taste
Add onion and celery to crock pot. Place ham bone or hocks on top of onion and celery. Pour rinsed beans around ham; sprinkle with pepper. Add bay leaves or parsley and garlic. Add chicken stock; stir to combine; cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
When ham is tender, about 6 to 7 hours, remove meat from bones, discarding fat and bones; return meat to the pot. Stir to combine and break up ham pieces. To thicken smash some of the beans on the side of crock pot. When done skim any fat off and discard bay leaves if using. Serve with cornbread, biscuits, garlic bread or your favorite crackers.