Italian Meat Loaf
- 1 pound ground chuck beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup minced sweet onion
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper (sweet capsicum)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh orgeano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 ounces (about 1/4 cup) tomato paste (half of a 3-ounce can - freeze remainder for other uses)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 95mins
Adapted from homecooking.about.com
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Place ground beef and pork in a large bowl. Top with eggs, breadcrumbs, sweet onions, Parmesan cheese, bell peppers, garlic, parsley, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Use a large carving fork to mix the meatloaf, folding the ingredients and pulling hte fork tines through the mixture as you turn the bowl. Do not overmix or meatloaf will become tough.
Scrape the mixture into a loaf pan and smooth the top, but do not pack it tightly. SPread the tomato paste (may substitute ketchup or barbeque sauce) to cover the top of the meatloaf. Place the loaf pan on a baking tray to catch any drips that may bubble over. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let meatloaf rest for 15 minutes before cutting to serve.