Quinoa Lentil Salad
- 1 cup French lentils, uncooked (or sub. brown lentils)
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 large sweet red pepper. chopped
- 1 sweet red apple, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint, chopped
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup natural plant-based milk
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar (or coconut vinegar)
- 1/3 cup raw hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 1 date, pitted
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from forksoverknives.com
1. Cook lentils in 1 1/2 cups water and quinoa in 2 cups water in two saucepans. Bring each to a boil, then simmer covered until all water is absorbed. Place both into a bowl and allow to cool.
2. Place pine nuts into a pan and lightly toast. Remove from heat. Combine remaining ingredients for the salad along with quinoa, lentils and pine nuts. Toss until combined.
3. For dressing, simply place all the ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Pour over salad, toss until completely coated, and serve warm or chilled.
Note: French lentils hold their shape a little better, but brown lentils can easily be substituted. This salad can also be served with 3 - 4 tbsp. fresh lemon juice and 3 - 4 tbsp. white wine vinegar as a dressing instead of the hemp seed dressing listed.