No-churn Black Forest Ripple Ice Cream
- To change up flavors, try these variations instead of the cherry mixture and chocolate:
- 12 oz pitted cherries, fresh or frozen and thawed, halved
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2 c very cold heavy cream
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate chunks (about 1 c)
- ice cream cones, for serving
- Zesty Coconut: fold in 1 T lime zest and 1/2 c toasted coconut. Spoon into the loaf pan and top with 1/2 c toasted coconut.
- Nuts about Bananas: Fold in 1 large banana (diced) and 1/2 c unsalted roasted peanuts (roughly chopped). Spoon into the loaf pan and drizzle with 3 T caramel sauce.
- Peach Pie: Fold in 4 graham crackers (roughly chopped; 1 heaping cup) and 12 c peach preserves. Spoon into the loaf pan and freeze as directed.
- Chocolate Peppermint: Fold in 12 small chocolate peppermint candies, chopped (such as peppermint patties) and 1/4 c chocolate sauce. Spoon into loaf pan and freeze as directed.
Place cherries, sugar and 2 T water in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until the cherries break down and the liquid turns to a thick syrup, 10 to 12 mins. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until cool, about 15 mins.
Using an electric mixer, beat the cream, condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl on med-high until stiff peaks form, 3-4 mins. Gently fold in the chocolate chunks.
Spoon half the cream mixture into a 4.5 x 8.5 inch loaf pan or 1 1/2 qt freezer safe container. Spoon half the cherry mixture on top. Using a knife, swirl the cherry mixture thru the cream. Repeat with the remaining cream and cherry mixture. Freeze until set, at least 4 hours. Once set, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 weeks.