SWEET AND SOUR PINEAPPLE CHICKEN
- 1 lb. boneless skineless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp each cornstarch and all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp each salt and white or black pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp each dry sherry, sodium reduced soy sauce and rice vinegar
- 2 tsp minced gingerroot
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 each onion and sweet red and green pepper, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup drained canned pineapple chunks
In bowl, combine chicken, egg white, cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper; let stand for 10 minutes.
In wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry chicken, in batches and reserving cornstarch mixture in bowl, for 3 minutes or until golden-brown. Transfer to plate.
Add broth, 1/3 cup water, ketchup, sherry, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and sugar to reserved cornstarch; whisk to combine, Set aside.
Discard all but 1 tbsp oil from wok. Stir-fry onion and red and green peppers for about 3 minutes or until tender crisp.
Add chicken, pineapple and stock mixture to wok; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened and chicken is coated.