Buttermilk Banana Bars
These moist snack bars with creamy frosting taste a lot like banana bread.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 1-1/4 cups mashed ripe banana
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 55mins
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl stir together the butter, buttermilk, mashed banana, and eggs. Add to dry ingredients. Stir just until combined. Fold in walnuts.
2. Spread in a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
3. Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting. Spread over the cooled dessert. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator. Makes 48 bars.
Cream Cheese Frosting: In a medium mixing bowl, beat together one 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened; 1/2 cup butter or margarine; and 1 tablespoon vanilla with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Sift one 1-pound package powdered sugar; gradually add to butter mixture, beating on medium speed until light and fluffy.
*Note: To make sour milk, place 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Pour in enough milk to make 2/3 cup liquid. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.