Zuppa Toscana (olive garden)
- 1 pound hot (spicy) Italian sausage
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion – peeled, chopped
- 1-2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and sliced 1/4″ thick
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 pieces bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale or Swiss chard
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (or half and half, or whole milk)
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper
In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces as it cooks. Remove from heat, drain the extra grease, set aside.
In a large pot, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add garlic and onions, and cook 3 minutes. Then add potatoes, chicken broth, water, sausage and bacon, and simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add kale, and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes (or until the potatoes have softened.)
Add cream (or half and half) to soup, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.