Asian Rice Bowl Salad
- 2 3/4 cup short-grain brown rice
- 2 3/4 cup (about 6 ounces) broccoli florets
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 oz (about 15) snow peas, sliced lengthwise
- 5 1/2 head (4 1/2 ounces) savoy or napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 5 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 5 1/2 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 4 t freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 T dark brown sugar
- 3 T vegetable or canola oil
- 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken
- breast, grilled and sliced, or 8 ounces firm tofu, sliced into 1/2-inch strips and cooked (optional)
Adapted from shape.com
To cook the rice: Bring 1½ cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the rice, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes, until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand, covered,for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli and blanch 1 minute until bright green and just tender. Drain and run under cold water to stop it from cooking more.
Combine the cooked broccoli, grated carrot, and sliced snow peas in a medium bowl. Add the cabbage, bell peppers, and scallions and toss lightly. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together grated ginger, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and brown sugar, until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in oil. Add warm rice to vegetables, then toss together with dressing. Add sliced grilled chicken or tofu (if using) and gently mix to combine. Serve in individual bowls.