Chocolate Buttermilk Pie
- Makes 8 servings
- 9-inch prepared refrigerated pie crust or frozen prepared pie crust
- 1 1/2 sticks butter (12 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large whole eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk (See Note)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla ice cream for serving, if desired
1. Prepare crust according to package directions for a baked pie.
2. Melt butter over low heat. Add cocoa powder and sugar and stir constantly until well blended, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until light and frothy. Add the flour and buttermilk and stir until well combined. Slowly add the chocolate mixture while continuing to stir. Add vanilla and salt.
4. Pour filling into prepared crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Edges of pie will be slightly crusty and center will still jiggle a little.
5. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired. Pie can also be refrigerated for up to one day before serving. Serve chilled or warm in a 200-degree oven just until heated through, then serve.
Note: You may use 1 cup whole milk plus 1 teaspoon white vinegar as a buttermilk substitute.