Sweet Potato and Cranberry Hash
Best if sweet potatoes are baked in the oven the night before and cooled.
Wink and I made this in Arizona June 2009 - Excellent!
- 3 sweet potatoes - total weight ~ 1 Kg
- 3 T unsalted butter
- 1 Fuji apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 " cubes
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground allspice
- salt and pepper
1. Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat over to 350 degrees.
2. Set the sweet potatoes direcly on the rack and bake until they still feel slightly firm when pressed - 50 minutes. They should be slightly underbaked.
3 Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
4. Place the seet potatoes on a plate, cover loosely and refrigerate overnight. Chilling them firms the flesh making it hold together better in the hash.
1. nonstick frying pan over medium high heat, melt 2 T of the butter.
2. Add the apple cubes and saute, stirring occasionally, until the butter browns the apple cubes and starts to caramelize and brown around the edges about 5 minutes.
3. Add the remaining 1 T butter. When it melts, stir in the green onion and cranberries and cook until the onions wilt. About 1 minutes.
4. Stir in the cinnaom and allspice, add the sweet potatoes and cook. Stir frequently until the potatoes are heated through - about 4 minutes.
5. They will break up somewhat but try to smash them as little as possible.
6. Add 1.4 t salt or more to taste and season with pepper.
Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot, warm, or room temperature.
You'll also love
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Sandwiches 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Asian Seared Salmon 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Potluck Banana Cake 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Oven-Roasted Potatoes and... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Butternut Squash Ravioli 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Creamed New Potatoes with Peas and... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Blueberry-Banana-Oat Bread 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Blueberry Cinnamon Muffins 4/5 (1 Votes)