Smoked Baked Potatoes
- 8 baking potatoes (Yukon gold's are good for this)
- 1 cup bacon grease, softened, not melted
- HERB MIX:
- 2 tablespoons ground sage
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
Wash and dry potatoes. Rub warm, soft bacon grease into the skin of each potato, covering completely. Mix the herbs together; roll each potato in herb mixture, making sure to cover completely. Puncture each potato several times. Place on hot grill in a smoker, and smoke for 1 hour at 250 deg, turning once. Remove potato and wrap each in double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil. Seal the foil and place back in smoker for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until soft when poked.
** When I made these, my potatoes took longer. I omitted the 'foil step' and the potatoes were crunchy on the outside. These were the hit of the party. I'll definitely make them again.