Black Bean and Sweet Corn Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen sweet white corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When shimmering and hot, add the onions and saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and stir for a minute or two until the garlic is fragrant, being careful not to burn the garlic.
Add the quinoa and cover with broth. Stir in cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes (or until the liquid is absorbed).
Stir in the frozen corn and black beans. Cover and let the pot sit off the heat until the corn and beans are heated through, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Serve warm or chilled