From LA Times. This recipe calls for 1 flaky pie crust which you can also find in my recipe collection
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup orange juice, from about 1 large orange
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1 sprig mint
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 cups strawberries, about 2 1/2 pounds, hulled
- 1 baked 9-inch single pie crust
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from latimes.com
1. In a medium, nonreactive saucepan, stir together the sugar, one-half cup water, the orange juice and the rum. Gently crush the sprig of mint in your hand to release the oils, and place the mint in the pan. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, about 5 minutes, and continue to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to marry the flavors. Remove from heat.
2. While the liquid is coming to a simmer, whisk together the cornstarch and remaining one-half cup water to form a slurry. Stir the slurry into the pan, then heat the pan over medium-low heat and cook until the liquid thickens (it should just begin to bubble), 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and discard the mint sprig.
3. Arrange the strawberries in the prepared crust. Pour the thickened filling over the berries, then refrigerate the pie 3 to 4 hours to set the filling.