Beef and Black Bean Chili
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green sweet pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15 - 16 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons hot chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Toasted baguette slices (optional)
- Sliced green onions (optional)
In a large skillet cook ground beef, onion, sweet pepper, and garlic over medium heat until browned. Drain fat. Transfer meat mixture to a 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker. Add beans, tomatoes, beans, broth, cocoa powder, chili powder, cumin, and paprika.
2. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Top with baguette slices and green onions, if desired.