ITALIAN SAUSAGE STRATA
Make ahead convenience on hectic mornings.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (1 pound), cubed
- 1 jar (4 1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 85mins
1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place bread in a greased 13-in x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with mushrooms, onions, and sausage.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, half-and-half cream, mustard and salt. Pour over top; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. (Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly.) Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
4. Unbaked casserole can be covered and frozen for up to 3 months.
To use frozen casserole. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions above.