Chicken Noodle Casserole - a rotisserie chicken recipe
- recipe from Lisa @ The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
- 1 package of egg noodles (I used medium)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1-10 oz package of mushrooms, sliced (I used baby bellas)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 - 16 ounce container of sour cream
- 4 cups chicken, cubed (1 rotisserie chicken, meat picked off the bone, shredded)
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I used Panko)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley
Preheat the oven to 350. Bring water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add salt and cook noodles until al dente. Drain and set aside in colander.
Melt 2 tablespoons of better in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, ½ teaspoons salt and some pepper. Cook until most of the water has evaporated out of the mushrooms. Stir in the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and let it melt. Add the flour and stir until it becomes lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds.
Gradually whisk in broth and sour cream. Let it cook 5 to 7 minutes, but don’t let it boil, you just want it to thicken. Stir in the chicken, noodles, parsley & thyme. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
Transfer the filling into a greased 3-quart baking dish while you prepare the topping.
To make the topping:
Mix all the topping ingredients in a bowl and sprinkle on top of the casserole.
Bake until browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.