Smokey Black Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 14 ounces smoked sausage, diced
- 1 1/2 cups onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups bell pepper, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 hot cherry peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 pound dried black beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Kosher salt
Adapted from mykitchenaddiction.com
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the sausage, onion, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeño, and cherry peppers. Stir in the spices – cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika. Season with salt.
Add in the black beans and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Partially cover and allow to simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, until the beans are tender.
Partially blend with an immersion blender to thicken the soup. Adjust the seasonings taste, and serve.