Light and Creamy Orzo Primavera
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup lowfat milk
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup carrots, sliced, fresh or frozen
- freshly ground pepper
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from shrinkingkitchen.com
Bring a pot of water to a boil and add orzo - cook for about ten minutes.
Place the carrots and broccoli in a microwave safe bowl with a bit of water and steam for about three minutes in the microwave, till crisp/tender.
While the orzo is cooking, melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add the garlic to the butter and saute for about a minute, till fragrant.
Next, add the flour to the butter/garlic mixture and whisk together into a roux.
Cook for a minute or two to get the raw taste out of the flour.
Slowly add the milk to the roux, whisking briskly.
When the sauce starts to thicken, add the parmesan and stir while the cheese melts.
Remove the sauce from the heat.
In the last two minutes of cooking, add the frozen peas in with the orzo.
Drain the orzo and peas, then add to the cheese sauce.
Add the broccoli and carrots to the pasta and cheese and fold well to combine.
Season generously with freshly ground pepper.
Serve with a little extra parmesan, if desired.
WW PP 8; Calories 307; Total Fat 6.8g; Saturated Fat 3.6g; Trans Fat 0.0g; Cholesterol 17mg; Sodium 231mg; Total Carbohydrates 47.7g; Dietary Fiber 5.7g; Sugars 8.7g; Protein 13.9g; Vitamin A 118%; Vitamin C 76; Calcium 19%; Iron 14%
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Buffalo Ranch Alfredo Pasta 4.5/5 (687 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole 4.5/5 (475 Votes)
- Creamy Orzo with Asparagus &... 4.5/5 (69 Votes)
- Asparagus Orzo Salad 4.5/5 (61 Votes)