Mango Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 4 Ataulfo mangoes (or any mango in season), chopped
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 orange or red pepper, chopped
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed (2 x 14 oz/398 ml can)
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (about 6)
- 3 - 4 tbsp. red wine vinegar (to taste, more for extra tanginess)
- 2 - 3 tbsp. lemon juice (to taste)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from alaskafromscratch.com
1. Comine quinoa and water in a small saucepan. Cover, bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and cook until water is completely absorbed. Transfer to bowl.
2. While quinoa cooks, chop all vegetables/mango and combine in a bowl. Add beans. Once quinoa has cooled a little, pour over vinegar and lemon juice and fluff with a fork until well-combined. Then stir in vegetable/mango/bean mixture.
3. Cover bowl and place in refrigerator until completely cooled. Serve chilled as a side salad or on its own as a meal.
Note: To make this a winter salad when mangoes are not in season, substitute apples for mangoes and use 3 - 4 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar, 2 - 3 tbsp. lemon juice and 1 - 2 tbsp. date paste as a dressing.